Wednesday, December 30, 2009

So What if I Have a Small Head?

Off and on through my adult life, people have told me that I have a small head. True, my head may be smaller than some adults, but I certainly do not suffer from microcephaly.

I used to care that some people thought my head was small. I took it personally. As if something must be wrong with me because my head didn't meet a certain criteria. For the record, There is no head circumference criteria for adults. We all vary in our body make-up. Head circumference is an important health indicator when a baby is born and through the first couple years of life.

Over time, I realized a small head isn't a big deal. I have accepted the fact that I have a littler mellon than some. For all the small headed adults out there, I present to you, the Top 3 Reasons a Small Head Isn't the Worst Thing in the World (in no particular order):

1. There is absolutely no proven correlation between head size and intelligence.
We see people with big heads and small heads alike acting stupid.

2. We lose less body heat if we go outside without a hat (versus people with a big head) when it is cold. This reduction in body heat loss could mean the difference between life and death
while climbing K2 or Mt. Everest.

3. You can wear kid sized hats. Not only does this save money, There are much cooler options for head wear. Take for example, my 3-year old son's balaclava. Because of my small head, I get to hike, snowshoe, and mountain climb wearing this stylish Elmo head cover:


Hike on people with small heads!

No comments:

Post a Comment