Thursday, December 3, 2009

The TRUTH About Heat Loss Through Your Head

It was about 10-degrees this morning when I dropped my daughter off at school. As I sat in the car, I noticed something about the other kids making their way to class. Hardly any of them were wearing a hat!

As a kid, my mom told me I had to wear a hat when it's cold because most of my body heat would escape from my head. My mom was WRONG. We only lose about 10% of our body heat through our head.

The reality is,
body heat loss is dependent on the surface area exposed to the cold. So, unless you have a head the size of an exercise ball, you are not losing most of your body heat through the top of your cranium.

Now, let me be clear. You should wear a hat when it is cold. Preserve all of the body heat you can...and protect your sensitive ears from the possibility of damage from the cold.

One last thing, hair doesn't matter. You can have a full head of thick hair and it won't prevent heat loss. Hair is not dense enough to prevent heat loss. You need to wear a HAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment